Amanda-Users

Re: handling off-site tape storage

2005-06-07 02:26:41
Subject: Re: handling off-site tape storage
From: Mike Delaney <mdelan AT lusArs DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 01:04:33 -0500
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 01:13:57PM +1000, Keenan, Greg John wrote:

> I'm curious how admins out there handle the off-site storage situation.  The
> requirement here is that full weekly backups are stored off-site for 4
> weeks, full monthly backups for 6 months etc.

For the weekly fulls, I'd just send the whole dumpcycle offsite (assuming
dumpcycle=1week) for 4 weeks.  My preference in that situation would be to
have the current week's tapes in the library, the previous week onsite
in a firesafe in case they're needed to restore something recent, and the
remainder offsite.

For the monthlys, I run a separate config with dumpcycle=0 (i.e. always full)
against the same disklist as my regular nightly config.  Those get sent
offsite.  For yearly archives, pick one month out of that set, mark the
tapes noreuse, and keep them offsite for a longer period.