Amanda-Users

Re: handling off-site tape storage

2005-06-07 00:57:46
Subject: Re: handling off-site tape storage
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Keenan, Greg John (Greg)** CTR **" <gjkeenan AT lucent DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:43:55 -0500
--On Tuesday, June 07, 2005 13:13:57 +1000 "Keenan, Greg John (Greg)** CTR **"
<gjkeenan AT lucent DOT com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm curious how admins out there handle the off-site storage situation.  The
> requirement here is that full weekly backups are stored off-site for 4
> weeks, full monthly backups for 6 months etc.
>
> Obviously letting Amanda decide when level 0 should be done on a DLE doesn't
> give you a bunch of tapes on Friday with all DLE's level 0.
>
> The previous admin forced the situation with the amadmin force option.  Is
> this the best way?  Is there another way?  I'm happy to try and change the
> full-friday mindset here if there is a better solution.

You could run a separate config (using always-full and record no) weekly
and take that set off-site.

Another option would be to take a dumpcycle's worth of tapes off-site; there
should be at least one full of each DLE in the set.

If you have a remote location with a tape drive (and adequate bandwidth), you
can run an Amanda config remotely.  Then the tapes are off-site as soon as
they are written.  For a shorter backup window, do the full backups to an
on-site disk, then backup that remotely.

I'm sure there are other ways as well.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com