Amanda-Users

Re: What will i do if a backup is not successfull?

2005-06-03 20:08:10
Subject: Re: What will i do if a backup is not successfull?
From: Ryan Pagquil <rpagquil AT philonline DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:50:23 +0800
Guy Dallaire wrote:

2005/6/3, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:53:28PM +0800, Ryan Pagquil wrote:
Hi guys,
     I'm running amanda right now without any problem. Thanks for your
help.

     I got a question regarding dump failure. I'm thinking of what
will i do if one of the hosts or host's directories failed to dump. Is
there any way to dump that single host or host directory only? Or there
is another way to deal with this kind of problem.
man amdump shows:

 SYNOPSIS
    amdump config [ host [ disk ]* ]*

So it looks like you can.

I think Ryan wanted the "big picture", not a reference to a man page. I'm new to amanda, and the problem I see with the documentation is
that there is no real overview as to how to effectively use amanda to
backup and restore files.

Ryan probably wanted to know if amanda would automatically pick up the
host and/or disk on it's next run (I presume it will, provided the
problem with that host is fixed)

It would be very useful to have a documentation that explains that
sort of things. I know there is the FAQ-O-MATIC, but most of the
amanda doc seems to presume the user is already familliar with the
product. I cannot find any good doc for the amanda beginner.
Hi guys,
The scenario is this, one night one of the servers to be backed up hanged and it will not be dump by amanda, but all of the other servers are successfully dump. In the morning i want that server to be backed up so that all of my backups are synchronize, meaning no servers are left behind the backup schedule. Can I do this? and how can I deal with this kind of scenario?

Thanks a lot,

--
Ryan Pagquil
Infodyne Inc. - PhilOnline.com