Amanda-Users

Re: What will i do if a backup is not successfull?

2005-06-03 11:30:15
Subject: Re: What will i do if a backup is not successfull?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:20:14 -0500
--On Friday, June 03, 2005 09:56:07 -0400 Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT
com> wrote:

> 2005/6/3, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
>> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:53:28PM +0800, Ryan Pagquil wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >       I'm running amanda right now without any problem. Thanks for your
>> > help.
>> >
>> >       I got a question regarding dump failure. I'm thinking of what
>> > will i do if one of the hosts or host's directories failed to dump. Is
>> > there any way to dump that single host or host directory only? Or there
>> > is another way to deal with this kind of problem.
>>
>> man amdump shows:
>>
>>   SYNOPSIS
>>      amdump config [ host [ disk ]* ]*
>>
>> So it looks like you can.
>>

> I think Ryan wanted the "big picture", not a reference to a man page.
> I'm new to amanda, and the problem I see with the documentation is
> that there is no real overview as to how to effectively use amanda to
> backup and restore files.
>
> Ryan probably wanted to know if amanda would automatically pick up the
> host and/or disk on it's next run (I presume it will, provided the
> problem with that host is fixed)

Yes, it will get it on the next run if it can.

> It would be very useful to have a documentation that explains that
> sort of things. I know there is the FAQ-O-MATIC, but most of the
> amanda doc seems to presume the user is already familliar with the
> product. I cannot find any good doc for the amanda beginner.

Have you read the chapter about Amanda in "UNIX Backup & Recovery"?
It gives a pretty good overview, and is available on the Internet.  The
link is on the amanda.org web page.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673