Amanda-Users

it works!

2005-05-31 16:03:24
Subject: it works!
From: Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, thanks everyone for the help, amanda just
succussfully backed up my computer to the tape!  now i
have to go about to the actual configuration of how i
want to do the whole backup system... i'm completely
new to backups so i'm not really sure what the best
way to go about this is done, wondering if i could get
some input from the list (i figure every one here
definitely has more experience than me).  Basically
i'll be backing up about 25 linux servers, totalling
about 1TB of space.  I'm planning on using tar instead
of dump (partially because one of the servers would
never fit on one single tape, and also because it
seems that dump is not reliable on linux?).  anyway,
my tape-changer has 2 drives and 30 slots.  How often
should i re-use tapes or ship them off-site?  Also,
right now w/ my amanda configuration i am only able to
use the first drive in my tape-changer.  is that
normal?  any other advice for someone trying to set up
their first network-backup system?

thanks,
Cameron Matheson

Discover Yahoo!