Amanda-Users

Re: Sending a backup to disk and Tape

2005-05-27 21:37:27
Subject: Re: Sending a backup to disk and Tape
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:20:05 -0400
On Friday 27 May 2005 17:37, Frank Smith wrote:
>--On Friday, May 27, 2005 13:35:09 -0400 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
wrote:
>> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 04:16:20PM -0400, Mangala Gunadasa wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am new to the amanda users group. I am using amanda to backup
>>> 61 file systems across the network to a single DLT.I'd like to
>>> also keep a backup on site on a local disk. How can this be
>>> done?. I appreciate any response.
>>
>> It has been suggested that using amanda's RAIT in a mirror config
>> it might be possible for one side to be a disk and the other side
>> a tape.
>>
>> But to my knowledge, no one has tried (or at least, no one
>> reported success)
>
>I've thought about it in the past, but couldn't wrap my head around
>how two different changer scripts would work together, especially
>under error conditions, and how you could restore if only one of the
>two media were present.  It is an intriguing idea to try if I ever
> had ample free time to test it.
>
>One solution suggested was to have one config backup to disk, and
> then have a separate config backup those to tape.
>
>Frank

Humm, my subscription seems to have been revived.  Thanks, whoever did
that!

Or, one could do something similar to what I'm doing in useing a
humogous drive as a FILE: device, and have your wrapper script, once
the backup to the hard drive is done and a verify run, then that same
script could do a tar from the disks current directory to the tape.

But I just rememebered that would only work if somebody changed the
tape religiously since my simple scripts do not actively check the
tape label to make sure its the right one.

This however, is something that could be done with a few more line in
a bash script.  I am reporting it, as checked, just not actively
using the result for anything but my own edification.

>> --
>> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>>  JG Computing
>>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: