Amanda-Users

Re: Sending a backup to disk and Tape

2005-05-27 17:57:56
Subject: Re: Sending a backup to disk and Tape
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:37:25 -0500
--On Friday, May 27, 2005 13:35:09 -0400 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 04:16:20PM -0400, Mangala Gunadasa wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to the amanda users group. I am using amanda to backup 61 file
>> systems across the network to a single DLT.I'd like to also keep a
>> backup on site on a local disk. How can this be done?. I appreciate any
>> response.
>
> It has been suggested that using amanda's RAIT in a mirror config
> it might be possible for one side to be a disk and the other side a tape.
>
> But to my knowledge, no one has tried (or at least, no one reported success)

I've thought about it in the past, but couldn't wrap my head around
how two different changer scripts would work together, especially
under error conditions, and how you could restore if only one of the
two media were present.  It is an intriguing idea to try if I ever had
ample free time to test it.

One solution suggested was to have one config backup to disk, and then
have a separate config backup those to tape.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673