Amanda-Users

Re: holding disk with vtapes?

2005-05-18 19:10:38
Subject: Re: holding disk with vtapes?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:56:16 -0400
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:17:10PM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:02:53PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > > But, which of those 2 ways of specifying the holding disk is correct?
> > The one you are using.  Here is one of my 3 HD definitions.
>
> Are diskdir and disksize deprecated? if so I'll file a bug with the
> debian maintainer to have the example config in the deb package changed.

I'd say yes, but have no doc saying so.  But they do not exist
in the example amanda.conf files distributed with amanda for
several years at least.

> >    reserve 20      # amount of holding disk to reserve for incrementals
> >    autoflush yes
> >
> >    holdingdisk hd1 {
> >        comment "main holding disk"
> >        directory "/w/dumps/amanda/DS1"
> >        use -2 Gb
> >        #    chunksize 512 Mb
> >    }
>
> Thanks.
>
> What are the implications of using larger vs. smaller chunksizes for the
> holding disk? man amanda says the default is 1GB. Are many 1GB files
> better for performance or for some other consideration than one big
> <size_of_dump>GB file?

Chunksize was a workaround for file systems that did not allow a single
file greater than 2GB.  To my knowledge there is no other reason to use it.

> use -2 Gb means to use all but 2Gb of the holding disk. Do you do this
> to avoid filesystem performance issues that may occur if it were allowed
> to fill completely?

The file systems I use for holding disk are not dedicated to that purpose.
I'm leaving some room for other purposes.  Nothing to do with performance.
There have been times that I've left for a business trip and forgot to
change the tape magazine.  So all my amdumps collect on the holding disk.
I don't want amanda to totally use the disk space and cause other apps
to stop working.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)