Amanda-Users

Re: holding disk with vtapes?

2005-05-18 17:18:55
Subject: Re: holding disk with vtapes?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:02:53 -0400
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 03:58:35PM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:47:29PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> > Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > >Is it normal for some dumps to go directly to tape, skipping the holding
> > >disk?
> > >I see that happening sometimes, but wonder if it means I have something
> > >misconfigured.
> > Those DLE's with an estimated size larger than the configured value
> > for holdingdisk will bypass holdingdisk an dump directly to tape.
> > I noticed that the example amanda.conf file has specified "use 290 m"
> > for the holdingdisk section.
> > Many people seem to forget to adapt that arbitrary number there.
>
> I have holding disk defined like this:
>
> holdingdisk holding {
>     directory "/holding"
>     use 0
>     chunksize 0
> }
> #diskdir "/holding"     # where the holding disk is
> #disksize 295 MB            # how much space can we use on it
>
> the 2 commented out option were in the example config and I was using
> those for awhile, but noticed that these, diskdir and disksize, are not
> in man amanda, while the holdingdisk name {} is.
>
> I didn't start a new thread on this because like the OP I'm using
> filetapes and am on Debian Sarge: amanda 2.4.4p3-2, 3.0.14a-1. Clients
> are a mix of Win NT, Win2k, Debian Sarge and Debian Woody (amanda
> 2.4.2p2-4).
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if I need to roll my own amanda debian packages
>
> gah ... nevermind ... I've been reading that disksize 295MB as 295GB
> until now ... just noticed as I was about to hit send.
>
> But, which of those 2 ways of specifying the holding disk is correct?

The one you are using.  Here is one of my 3 HD definitions.

   reserve 20      # amount of holding disk to reserve for incrementals
   autoflush yes

   holdingdisk hd1 {
       comment "main holding disk"
       directory "/w/dumps/amanda/DS1"
       use -2 Gb
       #    chunksize 512 Mb
   }

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)