Amanda-Users

Thank you amanda

2005-05-18 01:53:37
Subject: Thank you amanda
From: Stephen Carville <carville AT cpl DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:33:56 -0700
This morning the core server for my home network would not boot.  The
filesystem on the var partition was corrupt and even fsck couldn't fix
it -- something about some inodes belonging to the wrong FS group.

This evening I used lvm to create a new volume for var, added enough
directories to get booted and used amanda to restore the partition from
last nights's backup.  I use an external USB drive for backups here at
home so the whole process took about half an hour.   In my pre-amanda
days, this would have meant reinstalling the OS then recreating the lost
configurations.

I now return to lurking and learning from those who know more than me.

--
Stephen Carville -- polluting the ranks of skeptics since 1995.
Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has