Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda question

2005-05-18 00:32:48
Subject: Re: Amanda question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:12:25 -0400
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:32:42AM +0800, Ryan Pagquil wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>    This is the latest report that amstatus reported. Could you please
> explain what seems to be the problem with my setup and what are the
> parameters means. I setup the firewall to accept amanda on UDP and TCP
> port, but i got this "Connection timed out" on some hosts. What does
> amanda means of wait for dumping in some host? does it need to be run
> again to get the dump from the host?
>
> mail1:/data/                     0  1572970k wait for dumping
> mail1:/etc/                      1 driver: (aborted:could not connect to
> data port: Connection timed out)(too many dumper retry)
> mail1:/usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/ 1 driver: (aborted:could not connect to
> data port: Connection timed out)(too many dumper retry)
> mail1:/usr/local/scripts/        0     6595k wait for dumping
> mail1:/var/qmail/control/        1 driver: (aborted:could not connect to
> data port: Connection timed out)(too many dumper retry)
> mcs:/etc/                        1        9k dump done (16:13:03), wait
> for writing to tape
> mcs:/usr/etc/perdition/          1        0k dump done (16:14:33), wait
> for writing to tape
> mcs:/usr/local/scripts/          1        0k dump done (16:14:02), wait
> for writing to tape
> mcs:/var/qmail/control/          1        3k dump done (16:14:18), wait
> for writing to tape
> ns1:/chroot/                     0    13705k wait for dumping
> ns1:/etc/                        1        1k dump done (16:13:03), wait
> for writing to tape
> ns1:/usr/bin/                    0     8245k wait for dumping
> radius:/etc/                     1 driver: (aborted:could not connect to
> data port: Connection timed out)(too many dumper retry)
> radius:/usr/local/src/scripts/   1 driver: (aborted:could not connect to
> data port: Connection timed out)(too many dumper retry)
> radius:/var/lib/mysql/           0   754630k wait for dumping
> samba:/etc/                      1        3k dump done (16:13:18), wait
> for writing to tape
> samba:/etc/samba/                1        4k dump done (16:13:06), wait
> for writing to tape

All level 0's (total 5) failed to even start to dump.  They are waiting
to begin dumping.

Some incrementals (total 5) all failed with the error "could not connect
to data port".  These five were to two hosts (radius and mail1) which had
no successful dumps.  My guess here is that the network connection to
these two hosts is configured incorrectly.

The remaining incrementals (total 7) completed:
   host mcs:   dle's /usr/etc/perdition, /etc,
                     /usr/local/scripts, /var/qmail/control
   host ns1:   dle   /etc
   host samba: dle's /etc, /etc/samba

All seven are waiting to write to tape.  Nothing made it to tape.
This suggests to me that your tape configuration is not working correctly.

That the level 0's did not even start suggests to me that they did not
have a holding disk to collect their dumps and needed to go directly to
tape.  Which they could not do because of the above mentioned tape problem.
Some incrementals appear to have collected on the holding disk.  But the
total was only 20KB.  Do you have a holding disk?  Is it a reasonable size?
Is your reserve set to some reasonably small percentage?

Fix your tape, holding disk, and network connections.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)