Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: server.domain.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2005-05-08 15:19:14
Subject: Re: WARNING: server.domain.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk, Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 13:56:26 -0500
--On Sunday, May 08, 2005 16:23:44 +0100 Chuck Amadi <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
wrote:

> Hi I get this error when I run amcheck.
>
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 137245600 KB disk space available, that's
> plenty
> ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape DailySet101
>        (expecting a new tape)

This tells you that the tape currently in the drive won't be used since
it contains recent data (within tapecycle-1 tapes I believe), and because
it is also asking for a new tape instead of a labeled tape, you haven't
yet labeled tapecycle number of tapes.
   If this is a new setup and you're stll just testing, you could amrmtape
that tape and relabel it until you're ready to go into production, but
this is a separate issue from your current problem below.

> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Server check took 0.013 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: server.domain.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.002 seconds, 1 problem found
>
> Have I got to create a file in /etc/xinit.d/amidxtape

Only on the server, not on all the clients.

> As I haven't got this file or any other relating to amanda in xinit.d .

That's why you're getting the 'selfcheck timeout' error.  You need one for
amanda on each client (and on the server in the usual case of it also being
a client), and one for amandaidx and amidxtape on the server.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com