Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle versus noinc

2005-03-16 20:16:03
Subject: Re: dumpcycle versus noinc
From: Steve Wray <stevew-lists AT catalyst.net DOT nz>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:06:15 +1300
Peter Kunst wrote:
Hi Steve,

Steve Wray wrote:

Gaby vanhegan wrote:

Hello again!

Whilst setting up a full dump configuration to do monthly full dumps to tape, I'm torn between either:

    strategy "noinc"

or

    dumpcycle 0

To do a full dump. What's the difference here? Does it matter which one I use?

Heres my reading of what I've experienced from experimenting with these;

Suppose that a filesystem has grown too large to fit on the tape.

noinc will simply not dump that filesystem at all on that run.

dumpcycle 0 will fall back to incremental for that filesystem.

so when will amanda do a level 0 for that DLE, if that result for
dumpcycle 0 would be true ? in normal cases, amanda would simply say
"dumps too large" or something like that.

This is where amanda starts 'optimising' which tape it wants next based on when it last did a full dump and when the incrementals happened.

If I understand it right, it would try to schedule the zero-level for the next run. If again it couldn't fit, it would fall back some more.

I was just mentioning this because having a backup completely *fail* when using noinc can be very unfortunate
:-/

which amanda version do we speak about ?

its debian sarge, and dpkg -s tells me;
2.4.4p3-2

...i'm just testing the spanning patch. this would be another testcase.
so, thanks's for your hint :-)