Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle versus noinc

2005-03-16 08:35:35
Subject: Re: dumpcycle versus noinc
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:26:49 -0500
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:57:22PM +0000, Gaby vanhegan wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> Whilst setting up a full dump configuration to do monthly full dumps to
> tape, I'm torn between either:
>
>       strategy "noinc"
>
> or
>
>       dumpcycle 0
>
> To do a full dump.  What's the difference here?  Does it matter which
> one I use?

Absolutely.

With dumpcycle 0, each DLE is scheduled for a level 0 each run of amdump.

With "noinc", incrementals are scheduled and planned, just not done.
I.e. for a particular amdump run, nothing is done with that DLE if it is
scheduled for an incremental.

An example of the latter; I have one DLE that is a directory tree of nothing
but CD .iso images.  I can mount them online if I need without going to the
real CD.  I even have scripts, mountimage and unmountimage to present me with
a menu of the available images and do the mounting when I choose a number.
The images don't change.  I don't add/subtract images often.  Nor is it much
of a loss if an image I added doesn't get backed up for a while.  So I use a
dumptype with "noinc" and a dumpcycle of 2 weeks rather than my normal 1 week.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)