Amanda-Users

Re: RES: Backup retention time?

2005-03-16 14:22:23
Subject: Re: RES: Backup retention time?
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: Edson Noboru Yamada <eyamada AT diveo.net DOT br>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:07:56 +0200
Edson Noboru Yamada wrote:

Suppose I want to perform one full backup per week, and one day is time
enough to do that for all the clients. All the images fit in 2 tapes.

I defined the following parameters:

        dumpcycle = 1 week
        runspercycle = 1
        tapecycle = 4

Are these values OK?

This is not the most usual setup, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Assume that the backups will take exactly 2 tapes.
What will happen after the first week? The 2 used tapes will be overwritten?
Or the 2 non-used tapes will be preferred and the used ones will be only used
on the 3rd week?

Amanda will not overwrite the last 'tapecycle' number of tapes. Hence, on the second week she insists on not using the same tapes that were used on the first week. On the third week she agrees to overwrite them.