Amanda-Users

Re: Backup retention time?

2005-03-16 14:30:45
Subject: Re: Backup retention time?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:21:03 -0500
On Wednesday 16 March 2005 13:06, Edson Noboru Yamada wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I´m a Veritas Netbackup admin, and I´m trying to test Amanda
>as an alternative.
>
>With Netbackup, it´s possible to define a backup image retention
> time, that is the number of days that an a given image must be
> preserved on a tape; a tape is only reused if all the backup images
> it contains are expired.
>
>Is there a way to define something similar with amanda?
>
>Thanks

This is the variable in the amanda.conf file called 'tapecycle', and
amanda will not reuse a tape until all tapecycle-1 other tapes have
all been used.  Its common useage to have anywhere from 2x to 4x or
5x the dumpcycle days in tapes in the use rotation.

So I think that while the names might change, this is the function
that you are asking about.

I'm currently set for a bit of overkill, using a 4 day dumpcycle and
runspercycle, and a 22 day tapecycle, all on a big piece of a 200GB
disk.  That partition is currently sitting at about 94% full and has
been stable at that for many days now.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: