Amanda-Users

Re: RES: Backup retention time?

2005-03-16 14:09:33
Subject: Re: RES: Backup retention time?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Edson Noboru Yamada <eyamada AT diveo.net DOT br>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:01:26 -0600
--On Wednesday, March 16, 2005 15:39:37 -0300 Edson Noboru Yamada <eyamada AT
diveo.net DOT br> wrote:

> Suppose I want to perform one full backup per week, and one day is time
> enough to do that for all the clients. All the images fit in 2 tapes.
>
> I defined the following parameters:
>
>       dumpcycle = 1 week
>       runspercycle = 1
>       tapecycle = 4
>
> Are these values OK? Assume that the backups will take exactly 2 tapes.
> What will happen after the first week? The 2 used tapes will be overwritten?
> Or the 2 non-used tapes will be preferred and the used ones will be only used
> on the 3rd week?

The first two tapes would be used the first week, then the next
two the following week, and the first two overwritten on the
third week.
  You really should have an extra tape or two in your tapecycle
so a bad tape won't become an emergency.

> Thank you

You also need 'runtapes 2' and a changer specified in order to
use 2 tapes on one run (the changer can be you [chg-manual] if
you don't have a real changer).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673