Amanda-Users

Re: huge file showing up

2005-03-16 13:16:00
Subject: Re: huge file showing up
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:07:31 +0100
Vicki Stanfield wrote:
I have noticed that two large files which are of type GNU tar archive
and named in the format: hostname._net_hostname_home_user.20041221.2
(exactly matches an entry in disklist except that the slashes in the
path are now underscores and the date and another number are appended)

The holdingdisk files.

host.name._the_dle_entry.YYYYMMDD.L[.#]
L = level of backup
optionally appended with .1, .2, etc when chunking a large dump.

I assume that Amanda is creating these files, and that I just don't
completely understand the process. My backups which begin at 2:00 AM are
still running when I get here at 8:30. They used to finish much earlier
(like 5:00 or so). I looked through the faq on amanda.org and didn't see
anything about this. Maybe there is a step by step explanation of the
process amanda goes through somewhere?

Slow backups is probably a completely different problem.
Network trouble?  (netstat -i on both hosts shows large error count?)
Dump to tape without holdingdisk for some very large DLE's?
Non-responsive NFS-mounts where gtar gets stuck on?
And probably tens of other reasons...

The etimeout and dtimeout parameters can be tuned a little so that
amanda can break out of certain unresponsive clients too.  Bad (too
large) values can make the above even worse.