Amanda-Users

Re: spanning patch

2005-03-08 18:45:16
Subject: Re: spanning patch
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:36:03 -0500
On Tuesday 08 March 2005 16:42, Peter Kunst wrote:
>Hi,
>
>sorry for the delay, don't wonna break our production setup, so i've
>setup another Solaris9 box together with a spare dds4x6 changer
> connected to it for some testing. here we go...
>
>1st of all, spanning of a single DLE over two tapes works fine,
> using
>

> http://www.cs.umd.edu/~building/span_split_V7.0-2.4.5b1-20050214.pa
>tch.gz
>
>against
>

> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~martinea/amanda/amanda-2.4.5b1-2005021
>4.tar.gz
>
>i haven't tested recovering yet.
>
>John Stange wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
>>>I'm afraid that the results of the spanning patch by John
>>>Stange (Hi John) are a bit less than optimum in some regards.
>
>it's a patch, leading us to some kind of fine release later on, so
> let's test it :-)
>
>using amverify <mysetup>, i've got this when the next tape is a
> fresh tape:
>
>$ amverify <mysetup>
>Tape changer is chg-zd-mtx...
>2 slots...                                 (should read: 6 slots ?)
>Verify summary to [email protected]
>Defects file is /tmp/amanda/amverify.17109/defects
>amverify <mysetup>
>Using device /dev/rmt/0cbn
>Volume <mysetup>07, Date 20050308
>End-of-Information detected.
>Using device /dev/rmt/0cbn
>Volume <mysetup>08, Date X
>Fresh tape. Skipping...
>$
>
>..whereas <mysetup>07 is the 2nd tape of the last run. <mysetup>06
> would be the 1st tape of this run. never used amverify before
> anyways... just tested it because of Gene's hint.
>
>after loading the 1st tape of this run, i get:

>Using device /dev/rmt/0cbn
>Volume <myetup>06, Date 20050308
>End-of-Information detected.
>Using device /dev/rmt/0cbn
>Volume <mysetup>07, Date 20050308
>End-of-Information detected.
>$
>
>mail report says:
>
>Tapes: <mysetup>07
>No errors found!

This would seem to be the default, since amrecover has not yet been
patched to behave itself when doing the spanned tapes.

I had a bit of trouble switching it back after the 2 day test, so my
stuff is now out of numerical synch, but thats not a showstopper by
any means.

>...seems as amanda thinks only <mysetup>07 was written by this run.
>don't know if this happens using 2.4.5b1-20050214 also... haven't
> tested.

No, thats amverify only, since it hasn't been patched yet according to
John. That (2.4.5b1-20050214) also is the version I patched.

>...will give you more results when i've checked recovery, or should
> i switchover to the hackers list ?
>
>  Cheers, Peter
>
>--
>read http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html before replying