Amanda-Users

Re: amreport

2005-03-01 08:32:18
Subject: Re: amreport
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:21:50 +0100
I said 16 tapes because I know it's better to have at least one more tape (5x3+1). In this way I don't overwrite a valid copy and have valid backups for 3 weeks.

Thanks,

ddaas

Paul Bijnens schrieb:

ddaasd wrote:

I've modified the amanda.conf in the following way for my backup scenario (I want to backup only weekdays, I have 16 Tapes).

###

dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 5 days #only weekdays. I run amdump only Mo-Fr

###

I will label my tapes daily01-16.

My Dell PowerVault 122T has an auto-changer with 8 slots for 8 tapes, so I need to change only once in the 3 weeks period.

16 is not a multiple of 3*5 days.
When you start on a monday, the first time you need to insert
new tapes is after 8 runs, that is on thursday of the next week,
and then again 8 runs later, i.e. monday two weeks later.
Then again on thursday

Wouldn't it be easier to use 15 tapes (8+7) and change once
on monday, once on wednesday/thursday, and keep 1 spare tape.
Or fill it with only 5 tapes instead of 8, and change each monday
(or friday).