Amanda-Users

re: amreport

2005-03-01 04:42:06
Subject: re: amreport
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:28:26 +0100
Hi all,
I've modified the amanda.conf in the following way for my backup scenario (I want to backup only weekdays, I have 16 Tapes).

###

dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 5 days #only weekdays. I run amdump only Mo-Fr
tapecycle 16 tapes #I have 16 tapes
runtapes 1 # one tape is used for every run

bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1                # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4                # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)
etimeout 300

holdingdisk hd1 {
   comment "main holding disk"
   directory "/cache"  # where the holding disk is
   use -30 Mb            # how much space can we use on it
}
reserve 40 # percent

###

I will label my tapes daily01-16.

My Dell PowerVault 122T has an auto-changer with 8 slots for 8 tapes, so I need to change only once in the 3 weeks period.

Am I right?

Thanks a lot,
ddaas

<>How valuable is your data?  The absolute minimum is 1 tape, overwrite it
<>each day.  Or runs/cycle, overwrite some of your last valid backup each day.
<>Or runs/cycle + 1, "theoretically", never overwrite only valid copies "ever".
<>Unless, of course, one of the tapes is bad and you don't realize it.

<>Do you want more safety?  Do you ever want to recover something more than a
<>week old?  Then you need more tapes.  How many more?  Your data, your budget.
<>Myself I feel comfortable with several weeks worth of backups (3-4 for me).
<>Independent of full system archives that are a different config.  YMMV.

<>As you have outlined your requirements, your dumpcycle is NOT 5, it is 7.
<>Think of dumpcycle as "how often do you want a full backup?" and set it
<>accordingly.  If you want a full backup once a week set it to 7 days.
<>A full backup every other day; Set it to 2 days.  Note, there is a unit
<>applied to dumpcycle.

<>Runs/cycle is simply how many times (no units) you expect to run amdump
<>during any dumpcycle.  You said no weekends, so if your dumpcycle is 7,
<>and you do amdumps weekdays, runs/cycle is 5, there are 5 weekdays in
<>every 7 days.  Mine are 7 days and 6, I skip Sunday, collecting the
<>weekend changes in Monday's (2AM) backup.