Amanda-Users

Re: Dump larger than tape error

2005-02-28 17:59:10
Subject: Re: Dump larger than tape error
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:32:31 -0500
On Monday 28 February 2005 15:43, Fairbank, Bob wrote:
>Hi.
>I am definetly going to need to back up filesystems that are larger
> than the
>capacity of a single tape (SDLT).  Apparently, amanda has a
> limitation with this.
>True?  Any idea when it will be able to do this?
>Thanks.

The accepted cure for that is to use tar, and break the disklist up
into pieces much smaller than a tape.  Amanda, by design, does not do
a full level 0 backup of all disklist entries at the same time,
instead, it tries to scatter them out among the backup runs during
the dumpcycle so that it uses about the same amount of tape per run,
but a dumpcycle can actually contain 5 to 7 tapes (the way most do
it) with each tape filled to 95% or more of its capacity.

That said, there is a patch for amanda that will allow it to span one
individual backup over more than 1 tape.  I'm about to apply it here,
and play with it over the next weeks to see if I can break it.

It lives here:
<http://www.cs.umd.edu/~building/span_split_V7.0-2.4.5b1-20050214.patch.gz>

and is against the last 2.4.5b1-20050214.tar.gz version of amanda,
available from a link near the bottom of the amanda.org web page.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: