Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda indexing and multiple backup rotations

2005-02-25 07:56:30
Subject: Re: Amanda indexing and multiple backup rotations
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Brooks, Jason" <Jason.Brooks AT windriver DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:47:32 +0100

[removed amanda-hackers -- not relevant]

Brooks, Jason wrote:
Short version: Does a mechanism to share databases exist in amanda?

Short answer: use "ln", "ln -s", and use "include" directive
in the amanda.conf.

Long version: (best with an example)

I want >4 different configurations.  All but one will be in offsite
storage.  I want different configurations because then I will be assured
that each tapeset I have in the changer will be a complete set that I
change out each week for a new set.

So you have e.g. 4 set of tapes, each 7 tapes, of which 3 sets
are offsite, and one set of 7 tapes is being used.

Why not simply label your tapes:
daily-1-01, daily-1-02, .. daily-1-07,
daily-2-01..daily-2-07, daily-3-01..daily-3-07, daily-4-01...etc.

That's one possibility.  But now you're forgetting that there are
holidays, sick people, tape drive problems, that all make that you
get out-of-sync with the normal set-numbering.  Sometimes you need
an extra tape to flush the important backups, because on the normal
tape had an error after writing only 15% of the tape.  Sometimes
an operator forgets to load the correct tape, and effectively you
have no backup for that day etc (or only a little bit what fit in the
holding disk).

Or you suddenly come to the conclusion that the tape that is expected
to be overwritten the next night contains some very important data
still to be recovered.  When using the above numbering scheme you
cannot easily remove a tape from the sequence.

So why not number the tapes sequentially, daily01-daily28; each week
you bring in a set of the 7 oldest tapes in to be overwritten.
You set dumpcycle to 7 (or even a little lower, to 6 or 5 days to
have some redundancy in a set of 7 tapes too).  And you just switch
out next 7 tapes each time.  When you get out-of-sync, a "set" is
then defined as e.g. 2-8, 9-15, 16-22, 23-1 instead of
1-7, 8-14, 15-21, 22-28.

I can live with the not-so-nice-multiples-of-seven, and amanda doesn't
even care.  Put them in a coloured box, a different colour for each
set, or a box labeled "SET-1", "SET-2" etc., and it's still easy
enough to switch the sets.

I hope you do realize that for Amanda a valid set is just a sequence
of tapes of from any "dumpcycle" days, be it 1-7, or 3-10.
To be able to restore up to a certain date, you need all the preceeding
"dumpcycle" number of tapes before that day.
(That also why you should set runtapes much larger than dumpcycle.)

You can set runtapes to e.g. 21 instead of 28, but still keep 28
tapes in the cycle, resulting in any of the last 7 tapes being good
enough to overwrite: no you can easily remove a tape from the cycle,
without supplying a new one immediately too.