Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda indexing and multiple backup rotations

2005-02-25 02:19:11
Subject: Re: Amanda indexing and multiple backup rotations
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 02:08:37 -0500
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:44:29PM -0800, Brooks, Jason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A question about amanda's indexing and database
>
> Short version:
>
> Does a mechanism to share databases exist in amanda?
>
> Long version: (best with an example)
>
> I want >4 different configurations.  All but one will be in offsite
> storage.  I want different configurations because then I will be assured
> that each tapeset I have in the changer will be a complete set that I
> change out each week for a new set.

Before even attempting an answer I have a question.

What, for your needs, are the properties of a "complete tapeset"?
It sounds like you are thinking of traditional backup systems
where you do a monster dump of everything on day zero and then
tiny incrementals til the next monster dump.  In such a scheme
you need the monster dump or none of the little dumps are valid.
So they form nice discreet sets.

Amanda spreads the level 0 dumps across then entire dumpcycle.
So there is no discreet starting point to a set of tapes.
If your dumpcycle is 7 days and you do a run every days (runspercycle)
then the Monday - Sunday tapes are as valid a set as the Wednesday -
Tuesday.  Any 7 sequential tapes is a set.

> example:
> five configurations: Daily1-5
> dumpcycle = five weeks
> runspercycle = 7 days worth

dumpcycle is the 'maximum' time you want amanda to allow between
level 0 dumps.  Do you really only want a full dump every 35 days?
I suspect what you want is a dumpcycle of 7 days and runspercycle 7
(note, no units).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)