Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda-2.4.4p4 - RedHat 7.3 - Samba-3.0

2005-02-24 12:13:06
Subject: Re: Amanda-2.4.4p4 - RedHat 7.3 - Samba-3.0
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:42:01 -0500
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:19:31AM +0000, Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> Using the above fine for ann Unix type hosts and of these tar and dump
> based backups work fine.
>
> Just tried to backup my first windows partition last night and it seems
> to have worked but the dump ran with 'strange' - Can anyone point me in
> the direction of what might be wrong?
>
> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /-- titan      //printserver/hyperion lev 0 STRANGE
> sendbackup: start [titan://printserver/hyperion level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/opt/samba/bin/smbclient
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/opt/samba/bin/smbclient -f... -
> sendbackup: info end
> ? [2005/02/24 00:46:52, 0] client/clitar.c:process_tar(1433)
> ?   tar: dumped 3546 files and directories
> ? [2005/02/24 00:46:52, 0] client/clitar.c:process_tar(1434)
> |   Total bytes written: 3155058688
> sendbackup: size 3081112
> sendbackup: end
> \--------
>
> thanks for any help!

Gee, based on my experience, that would be a very "clean" report
of a samba dump.  :((    My reports always have lots of files
and/or directories that could not be backed up because of Windows
various permissions and restrictions.

The two messages seem to be "normal" end of smbtar/smbclient reports.
Amanda maintains list of messages it ignores and considers normal.
Some other types of messages it doesn't recognize but feels the
backup went to some form of normal completion and considers them
"strange", i.e. unrecognized by amanda so the operator must decide
if they are of any consequence.

If you can put up with reports like this, I'd consider them your "norm"
for that DLE.

Alternatively, amanda uses pattern matching (regular expression patterns)
to recognize messages to ignore or report.  Perhaps amanda was meant to
ignore those particular messages, but in your version of samba, the message
is subtly altered and the pattern no longer matches it.  This has happened
before.  Things as simple as spacing or capitalization or punctuation could
throw off the pattern match.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)