Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda planner failure

2005-02-20 16:35:22
Subject: Re: Amanda planner failure
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jingchun Chen <chen.666 AT osu DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:55:16 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 at 3:16pm, Jingchun Chen wrote

> Greetings to everyone! I am new to Amanda, and new to this mailing list.
>
> I got a planner failure and empty schedule. Amcheck seems to pass ok
> (except the two non-existing log dirs which I assume shouldn't cause
> problem). The tape server and backup client are the same machine, and the
> two disks to be backed up are NFS exported from another machine. We are

Any particular reason you're doing it that way?  The best way to run is to
back up local disks, i.e. install the amanda client on the NFS server.

> running Debian, kernel 2.4.28 on Amanda server (hostname coil) and kernel 2.6
> on the NFS server.

> Any clue? Thanks.
>
> FAIL planner coil /home/home-nz 20050208 0 [disk /home/home-nz
> offline on
> coil?]
> FAIL planner coil /home/home-am 20050208 0 [disk /home/home-am
> offline on
> coil?]

Take a look in /tmp/amanda/sendsize*debug on coil for more details, but
I'm betting that you have one of 2 issues:

1) You're trying to use dump (rather than tar), which won't work on a NFS
   mount.

2) You're trying to use tar and you have a root-squashing issue.  NFS
   exports, by default, map root on the client (and amanda runs tar via
   a setuid root wrapper) to nobody on the server.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering