Amanda-Users

Re: Mac OS X install?

2005-02-16 02:13:40
Subject: Re: Mac OS X install?
From: Michael Weiser <michael AT weiser.dinsnail DOT net>
To: steven karel <karel AT brandeis DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:17:51 +0100
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:08:33PM -0500, steven karel wrote:
> well, it works for me, but I wrote those instructions, so maybe I left
> something out.

Regarding those instructions: Compiling and using amanda following your
documentation works because you suggest --with-group=wheel and xinetd
runs as root:wheel. I had problems using --with-group=amanda, getting
"permission denied" on running any sgid programs such as runtar. I found
that xinetd will not properly activate primary group membership if not
given the "groups" option in the service configuration file and
therefore try to run the 2750 amanda:amanda runtar etc. as amanda:wheel.

There's also an entry in the xinetd FAQ regarding problems with several
BSD systems, primary group membership and the "groups" option. But I
found it too late. :-/

Perhaps this is worth adding to your instructions?
--
bye, Michael