Amanda-Users

Re: backup windows clients

2005-02-10 11:25:01
Subject: Re: backup windows clients
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:19:30 -0500
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:08:12PM +0100, Chantal Rosmuller enlightened us:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:41:37AM +0100, Chantal Rosmuller wrote:
> >

> >>Hi, I have an amanda-windows question:
> >>I got amanda running on a linux server with linux clients but now I want
> >>to use it for backing up windows 2003 servers as well,
> >>I compiled amanda with samba support:
> >>
> >>According to the documentation I have to put the following in the file
> >>disklist:
> >>
> >>sambaservername  //windowsclientname/sharename backuptype
> >>
> >>I dont understand why it wants a sambaserver? I thought amanda only used
> >>smbclient to connect to a windowsshare? I have the sambaserver software
> >>installed on the machine that runs amanda backupserver as well, but do I
> >>have to configure something?
> >>

> >The amanda server does not have to even have samba software installed.
> >It depends on an amanda client acting as the sambaserver.  So it needs
> >to know which amanda client is acting as the sambaserver for that
> >particular windows client.  Note, you could have several amanda clients
> >acting as samba server, each for several windows clients (spread the
> >load) and the amanda server is often an amanda client as well (backs
> >itself up) and thus could act as an sambaserver.
> >

> Thanks but sorry I still don't understand, what does the sambaserver do
> exactly? How does the samabserver have to be configured?
> I thought the purpose of a samba server was to make shares available on
> the network but windows clients can do that as well so why to they need
> the samabserver?

Think of it as a sambaclient, not sambaserver.

So with your example:

sambaservername  //windowsclientname/sharename backuptype

The amanda server contacts the machine sambaservername. This may be the
amanda server or some other machine. sambaservername then uses smbclient to
connect to the share //windowsclientname/sharname and backs it up using
backup type. sambaserver sends this back to amandaserver which puts it to
tape. Does that help?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak