Amanda-Users

Re: configure for amanda server and client coordinations

2005-02-03 23:10:52
Subject: Re: configure for amanda server and client coordinations
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:56:43 -0500
On Thursday 03 February 2005 15:50, Nina Pham wrote:
>Please let me setup the scenerio first for 2 unix machines. The
> amanda server machine(amserver) is running redhat linux 9, the
> amanda client(amclient) machine is running FC2. In addition to
> serve the client machine, amserver also backups some files locally.
> The amserver is already setup to backup itself. I'm installing
> amanda on amclient now. This is my first time to set up amanda, so
> it's confusing how the client and server coordinates so that the
> server will backup itseft and also backup files from amclient.
> From amclient: I do ./configure --with-user=general
> --with-group=disk --with-amandahosts
> --with-configdir=/Backup/Configs
>--with-config=WeeklySet --with-index-server=amserver
>--with-tape-server=amserver --prefix=/Backup/usr
>--with-gnutar-listdir=/Backup/amanda/gnutar-listdir.
>
>Did I get it right?
> From amserver, since amanda is already installed and running, I'm
> not sure what I should change so that it will backup the file from
> the client machine.
>
>Please help?

Generally, this consists of making sure the client stuffs can be run
automaticly, pretty easy if using xinetd, you just put this file in
all machines running the client as well as the server (after fixing
it to your 'user' and 'group' that is)
----------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
 disable = no
 socket_type = dgram
 protocol = udp
 wait  = yes
 user  = amanda
 group  = disk
 groups  = yes
 server  = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
 disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
 disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
---------------

Then, the machine to be backed up goes into the disklist, either by
its FQDN or an alias to that FQDN.  Using the alias I recently found
can be confusing at restore time, but not impossible.

Lets say I want to backup my firewalls /etc directory, and my firewall
is named gene.coyote.den (all internal network, use any name you
like) then the entry in the disklist looks like this:

gene   /etc   comp-gene-tar 2 le0

Where the 3rd argument in this case is a slightly customized version
of comp-tar in the amanda.conf, the 4th argument is the spindle
number of the drive (each one should have its own spindle number so
amanda does try to do backups from the same drive 2 or more at a
time, thrashing the seek mechanism in the drive) and the last tells
amanda that its Local Ethernet port 0 to use.

The last thing is to setup the .amandahosts file in the 'users' home
directory with the appropriate user and passwords.

I haven't used the inetd method in probably 5 years, so someone else
would have to give you a sample line to cover the amanda usage.

Lastly, if there are firewalls between the machines, there will need
to be a hole cut there to allow amanda to pass, see the docs for the
details on that as I'm all on this side of my firewall so it doesn't
come into play.

HTH

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: