Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server crashed!!!

2005-01-31 11:22:34
Subject: Re: Amanda server crashed!!!
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:15:51 -0500
On Monday 31 January 2005 06:30, Kevin Alford wrote:
>My Amanda backup server crashed, and I had to rebuild it.  I was
> running Amanda 2.4.2p2 on AIX 5.1 ML6.
>I desperately need to restore the data from my Amanda tapes, but I
> don't have the Amanda index files.
>Isn't there a way I can use native Unix to read and restore my tapes
>written by Amanda?
>Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Sure, use mt to rewind the tape, starting with a tape thats at least a
dumpcycle old.  dd the label block out to verify the correct starting
tape, then dd the next block, both of these to stdout, and follow the
directions in the 2nd block to recover the first file to scratch
storage. dd the next block to stdout to get the instructions again as
it may change from file to file depending on your use of software
compression.

Repeat as required, moving stuff from scratch to where it goes until
you've recovered it all.  You'll be a day or so I expect unless you
feel confident and cd to the target dir the next file came from,
thereby saving you the trouble of moving all that stuff from scratch
storage.

One of the things I do here, over and above what amanda does, is to
make a tarball of both the amanda config directory's contents, and
the indice directory's contents, and append them to the tape every
night after the amdump run is finished and any file locks amdump may
have had on things, causeing that file to be missing in the backup,
have been removed so I get the whole maryann.

This may require a reduction in the specified tapesize in your
tapetype in order to make sure amanda saves room for them.  This is
done by the wrapper script that cron calls, and which then does the
amdump, followed by this extra stuff so that the end of the tape
actually has the indice and config files on it that wrote *that*
tape.

Currently my scripts have been simplified considerable by liberal use
of the comment character as I'm now useing vtapes on a big hard
drive, but anyone who'd like a copy of them is welcome.  The
comments, and variable useage should be grokable by someone familiar
with bash scripts.

But, by the use of these, I can lose a drive, reinstall the current os
in bare bones mode, and almost any version of amanda in the 2.4.5
series, use dd to recover those last 2 files, and then have all of
amanda's facilities to do the rest of the recovery.  That of course
is if the drive lost isn't the new 200GB I'm using for the vtape
storage. :)

>Kevin D. Alford

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: