Amanda-Users

Re: archiving tapes?!

2005-01-28 13:45:54
Subject: Re: archiving tapes?!
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:37:52 -0500
On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:22:06AM -0700, Mark Costlow wrote:

> I have a similar situation here.  I recently moved to doing our daily dumps
> on vtapes (I previously used a 48-tape DLT jukebox).  Now periodically
> (monthly
> maybe -- haven't set the schedule yet) I want to take a set of off-site dumps
> out of the building.
>
> In the old tape days, I used to force a level-0 dump when I wanted to do
> that.  This was a pain and never very satisfying.  So I wrote a perl script
> that will extract the most recent full dump for every disk partition out
> of the vtapes.  It copies them to removable disks which I take offsite,
> but you could copy them to tapes instead if you wanted.
>
> The script is fairly generic (I tried not to let it depend on my local
> environment too much, but there may be some gotchas).  I was also lazy
> about a couple of assumptions (like the fact that my dumps all used gtar).
> If anyone wants it, let me know.

What a neat idea, and one that works best with vtape as the daily backup.

Would you consider writing up your experiences and techniques?

I'm guessing that for recovery from the archived dumps you would not
use amanda's indexing features.

Have you had to do any recoveries from the archived dumps rather
than the vtapes?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)