Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and Qualstar lib with AIT-3

2005-01-27 14:33:43
Subject: Re: Amanda and Qualstar lib with AIT-3
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Franz-Heinrich Massmann <fhm AT gfz-potsdam DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:25:19 -0600
--On Thursday, January 27, 2005 19:32:42 +0100 Franz-Heinrich Massmann <fhm AT
gfz-potsdam DOT de> wrote:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> In July 1999 we bought a Qualstar lib TLS-4220 with one AIT-2 Tape
> Drive LVD. Until mid of last year we have operated this lib successfully
> on a Solaris 7 platform with the Legato Networker 5.5 software.
>
> Last year we have updated the system from AIT-2 to AIT-3 by exchanging
> the tape drive, the Executive PCBA and the Drive Bay PCB. Unfortunately
> our networker version cannot handle AIT-3 tape drives. As the costs to
> upgrade the Networker software are quite high, we tried to run the AMANDA
> software. But we still have problems in making the system working again.

What problems are you having?

> Therefore my questions:
> - Does somebody have experience with the lib running with Amanda?

Well, we have a TLS-4440 that was upgraded to a TLS-4480 that
was then converted from AIT2 to AIT-3, and an RLS-4445 that
also works exactly the same with Amanda, and I think all the
Qualstar libraries use the same control interface.

> - Is it correct that we should see two SCSI devices when commanding
>    scsi-prob-all from the server which is connected to the lib?

Yes, at least 2. You should see the changer device  plus one
device for each tape drive.

>    We only see one device.

Which one?  One one of my changers I see:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUALSTAR Model: TLS-4480         Rev: 221i
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SONY     Model: SDX-700C         Rev: 0202
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SONY     Model: SDX-700C         Rev: 0202
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This is attached to a Linux box. The results are from
'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', but your scsi probe should show similar
info.

> - Is there anything special, we have to take care off additionally?

If this was just added to the Solaris machine, you may
need to 'boot -r' for it to create the devices.  You
mat also need to modify your st.conf and/or sgen.conf
for the drivers to recognize the devices (and you will
need a reconfiguration boot after making any changes).
I don't work as much with Solaris anymore so someone
else on the list might have a more specific answer.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673