Amanda-Users

Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??

2005-01-19 20:01:00
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Matt Lung <matt.lung AT midwest-tool DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:46:03 -0500
On Wednesday 19 January 2005 18:28, Matt Lung wrote:
>Quoting Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>:

>> >Roll back to that RPM version build for Fedora, or abandon the
>> > RPM and go with source?
>>
>> Probably whatever is the handiest for you Matt.  I'm not allergic
>> to srcs, but some are.
>
>Thanks for the help!  I'm not allergic to srcs at all, but I've been
> yelled at by the boss for using src instead of RPM's.  Two
> different viewpoints and only one that matters sort of thing here.
> I just wanted to make sure that there was not a big difference as
> far as code goes and making amanda work correctly between the src
> and rpms.  I guess there is not.  Thanks again!

Well, on that subject, the huge majority of us here have found that
amanda is much better off built from srcs.  The defaults that come
with the rpms are quite often less than "optimum" shall we say.

configure is pretty good these days at setting things up according to
what it can find on your system.  I build every new snapshot within a
day or so of Jean-Louis releaseing it, and long ago wrote a script to
drive the configuration so that its the same from one version to the
next.  I post it here from time to time, but its short enough I can
probably abuse the list again without reaching for my nomex
underwear.
---------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
 echo
 echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
 echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
 echo "     but must be installed by the user root."
 echo
 exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
 --with-group=disk \
 --with-owner=amanda \
 --with-gnu-ld \
 --prefix=/usr/local \
 --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
 --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
 --with-tape-server=coyote \
 --with-amandahosts \
 --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
 --with-config=Daily \
 --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar

make
------------
snip that out, set the exec bits, change whatever needs to be changed
to fit your environment, and run it in the unpacked tarballs top
level dir.  Run it as the user amanda, and make the user amanda a
member of the group disk or some similarly priviledged operator.

The tapedev in particular will need to be set for your setup, I'm
using a 200GB hard drive at the moment.  Works fine.

When this is finished, become root and do a make install.  And it
wouldn't hurt to re-run ldconfig to register the libraries.

>> >----------------------------------------------------------------
>> >This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> 99.32% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
>> Yahoo.com attorneys please note, additions to this message
>> by Gene Heskett are:
>> Copyright 2005 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: