Amanda-Users

Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??

2005-01-19 10:35:43
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??
From: Matt Lung <matt.lung AT midwest-tool DOT com>
To: Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:32:05 -0500
Quoting Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>:

> Matt Lung wrote:
> > I have hard disk backups setup using amanda on Fedora Core 3.  Everything
> is
> > great except when I use amrecover.  Trying to restore an old file I will
> get tar
> > errors like this:
> >
> > tar: ./dir/somefile: invalid sparse archive member
> > tar: Skipping to next header
> > tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> >
> > Do I need to dump the vanilla tar (1.14.4), and compile from a special
> source
> > version for amanda to work with tar backups?
> >
> Probably, if I've understood the bug correctly the backup is fine it's
> just the restoring that doesn't work. If you can it would be interesting
> to know if tar-1.15.1 works ok for you.
>
> /Andreas

thats correct... I can from the command line extract the archive that was made,
but amrecover stops me with that error.  What is it about this version of tar
that would cause it not to work correctly?  Would I have this problem if I
switched types to use the dump command instead?  I also backed up part of an XP
host using hard-disk-tar and used amrecover to restore and it worked just fine.
 Seems kind of strange that it worked, but the other didn't.  The other was a
backup of a Red Hat 8 system.  This has a different RPM version of tar on it
than the server (tar-1.13.25-8).  Could this be the problem?

I could try compiling the new tar-1.15.1, but that would kind of defeat the
purpose of RPM's to manage my system.