Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda config for two drives

2005-01-13 12:22:38
Subject: Re: Amanda config for two drives
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:06:56 -0500
On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 17:22 +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> > I am setting up to transition an existing Amanda config on a Debian
> > Woody Linux system with one drive to a two drive setup. I have been
>
> Use the chg-multi changer: it emulates a tape changer using
> two or more tape drives.
>

> > trying to research this and have come up with what I believe is the
> > correct amanda config:
> >

> > <SNIP>
> > tapedev "/dev/nst{1,2},2}"      # the non-rewinding device to write
>
> What's that???
Evidently I wasn't paying attention when I edited my working file. I
meant this:

tapedev "/dev/nst{1,2}"      # the non-rewinding device to write

> > tapes
> >
> > <SNIP>
> > # our tape definition
> > define tapetype HP-C5683Ax2 {
> >         comment "DDS-4 DAT tape"
> >         length 16584 mbytes
> >         filemark 452 kbytes
> >         speed 2613 kbytes
> > <SNIP>
>
> I also believe you have hardware compression on, together with
> software compression. A capacity of about 16 Gbyte instead of a little
> lower than 20 Gbyte is typical for those setups.
> Doing hard+soft compression results in a lower tapecapacity for
> most drives (all except LTO drives, AFAIK).
>
> Disable hardware compression. Search the list for how to do this,
> as this has been discussed numerous times here.
>

>  > While I believe that this setup is correct, ...
>
> I would be amazed that amcheck did not complain :-)

It hasn't yet been given the chance to. :-)

Okay, so I knew that I needed to use the chg-multi changer, but I was
unsure as to how. I have found some more information, but I don't know
where to get the script. I saw reference to it in an example directory
somewhere. I can't find it though.

Vicki