Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda config for two drives

2005-01-13 11:40:09
Subject: Re: Amanda config for two drives
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:22:16 +0100
Vicki Stanfield wrote:
I am setting up to transition an existing Amanda config on a Debian
Woody Linux system with one drive to a two drive setup. I have been

Use the chg-multi changer: it emulates a tape changer using
two or more tape drives.

trying to research this and have come up with what I believe is the
correct amanda config:

<SNIP>
tapedev "/dev/nst{1,2},2}"      # the non-rewinding device to write

What's that???

tapes

<SNIP>
# our tape definition
define tapetype HP-C5683Ax2 {
        comment "DDS-4 DAT tape"
        length 16584 mbytes
        filemark 452 kbytes
        speed 2613 kbytes
<SNIP>

I also believe you have hardware compression on, together with
software compression. A capacity of about 16 Gbyte instead of a little
lower than 20 Gbyte is typical for those setups.
Doing hard+soft compression results in a lower tapecapacity for
most drives (all except LTO drives, AFAIK).

Disable hardware compression. Search the list for how to do this,
as this has been discussed numerous times here.

> While I believe that this setup is correct, ...

I would be amazed that amcheck did not complain :-)