Amanda-Users

Re: amanda.8 manpage

2005-01-13 07:37:00
Subject: Re: amanda.8 manpage
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:26:13 +0100
Hi, Nicolas,

on Donnerstag, 13. Jänner 2005 at 12:17 you wrote to amanda-users:

NE> I guess once you have the xml files, the target formats are not a
NE> problem. You just have to write a converter.
NE> I play a little with Latex, and it's working the same way.

I wasn't clear: We have converters ready for

tex pdf ps html htmlman manpages txt

Have a look at http://www.amanda.org/docs/AMANDA-docs.html for some of
the results.

>> And this switch to the xml-docs-tree would make it somewhat easier to
>> maintain the docs, which leads to better quality ...

NE> So must I understand that this switch isn't done yet ?
NE> (From your last posts, I thought this had begun ?)

The conversion is done, but the xml-files are not yet used for
generating the files for the official AMANDA-releases. This will be
done soon and this is what I meant with "switch".

>> So to answer your question: No translation-project yet, but I will be
>> happy to support you in starting one ;-)

NE> For my company, I wrote a quite huge doc in french about the daily use
NE> of amanda, and the use of the small tools around, like dd, tar, dump,
NE> restore...
NE> This took me a long time, but I liked it.
NE> I already translated some man pages of mutt into french, and I think I
NE> could do the same for amanda.

Sure, welcome.

NE> I fact, it seems that in France Amanda isn't quite used because of the
NE> lack of simple documentation.
NE> So instead of re-writing a new doc in french, it could be wiser to
NE> translate your xml files into french.

NE> Could you tell me the % of files formated in xml ?

As Gavin noticed, 100% are available in Docbook/XML.

There is a CVS-branch, browse it at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/amanda/xml-docs/

--
best regards,