Amanda-Users

Re: Incredible slow write / Converting tapes

2005-01-11 08:20:56
Subject: Re: Incredible slow write / Converting tapes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: S.Krumme AT stadt-duisburg DOT de
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:14:37 +0100
S.Krumme AT stadt-duisburg DOT de wrote:

after moving my backup hard- and software to another machine, I encountered several problems. One was due to faulty tapes, the other due to the fact that I didn´t knew the blocksize I set the tape device on the old machine. These problems I had resolved by using fresh tapes and by setting the default block size of the tape device to 32, which was the original setting.

blocksize of 32 bytes?  Or do you mean 32 Kbytes?

Now my backup is up an running again. But when I start amdump, the filesystems are dumped quickly as usual, but when the taper starts writing it takes extremly long.
Here is an example:

10.0.1.5:/                    1    55424k writing to tape (12:20:40)

Now its 13:42 and it is still writing.

Any idea whats wrong now ?

If the blocksize if 32 bytes, then, yes, that is incredebly slow.

Personally, I prefer the variable block tape device (by setting default
blocksize to zero), and specify the blocksize I need using the programs
(32Kbyte by default for amanda, or "dd bs=..." etc.)