Amanda-Users

Re: How to run amandad without inetd

2005-01-08 20:42:34
Subject: Re: How to run amandad without inetd
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
To: <rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:30:58 -0800

On 1/8/05 5:15 PM, "rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us"
<rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, David Newman wrote:
>

>> On 1/8/05 3:15 PM, "rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us"
>> <rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to run amandad as a service without having inetd launch it?
>>> I'm having trouble getting a connection to a server running HP/UX 11.00.
>>
>> So  the HP/UX 11.00 box is an amanda client?
>
> A client and server. If I run amcheck on the 11.00 machine to connect to
> itself it fails. If I run amcheck on the 11.00 machine to connect to a
> 10.20 machine it works fine. If I run amcheck on a 10.20 machine to connect
> to the 11.00 machine it fails.

This may be a permissions thing. Whatever account name you're using on the
server needs permission on the client to run the amanda programs, write to
/tmp/amanda, and access the filesystems you want backed up.

Also, if the username you're using is different from the one given in
inetd.conf, you'll need to specify it in .amandahosts, right after the
hostname.

For simplicity's sake I'd recommend using the same username everywhere, and
specifying that username at compile time. You may still need to set
permissions in a few places, but having one username minimizes this.

And -- just checking -- you have a properly configured .amandahosts in the
home directory of your amanda user, right? If not, "man amanda" and search
on .amandahosts.

>>> I have amanda running on several servers running HP/UX 10.20 and one
>>> running HP/UX 11.11 with no problems but amcheck always fails with "Host
>>> down?" on the 11.00 server.
>>
>> On the tape server, try running "amcheck -m <configname>" and see what
>> errors it returns.
>>
>> I had a similar problem between two FreeBSD boxes. In my case, amcheck told
>> me that the tape user didn't have permissions set correctly on the amanda
>> client in various places, including /tmp, /usr/local/var/amanda, and of
>> course the filesystems I wanted to back up. The problem cleared once I
>> corrected this.
>>
>> Another thing to verify is that the client machine lists the tape server
>> (and user, if it's not the default called from inetd.conf) in its
>> .amandahosts file. I had a CNAME instead of the canonical FQDN, which may
>> also have been a problem.
>>
>> dn
>
> I've used nettl, HP's network tracing and logging app, to spy on the UDP
> traffic. On the 11.00 machine when I run amcheck I see 3 UDP packets from
> amcheck and that's all.

what's in those three packets?

dn

 On one of the machines that are OK if I perform the