Amanda-Users

Re: How to run amandad without inetd

2005-01-08 19:12:03
Subject: Re: How to run amandad without inetd
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
To: <rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:54:08 -0800

On 1/8/05 3:15 PM, "rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us"
<rray AT tcmail.mstc.state.ms DOT us> wrote:

> Is it possible to run amandad as a service without having inetd launch it?
> I'm having trouble getting a connection to a server running HP/UX 11.00.

So  the HP/UX 11.00 box is an amanda client?

> I have amanda running on several servers running HP/UX 10.20 and one
> running HP/UX 11.11 with no problems but amcheck always fails with "Host
> down?" on the 11.00 server.

On the tape server, try running "amcheck -m <configname>" and see what
errors it returns.

I had a similar problem between two FreeBSD boxes. In my case, amcheck told
me that the tape user didn't have permissions set correctly on the amanda
client in various places, including /tmp, /usr/local/var/amanda, and of
course the filesystems I wanted to back up. The problem cleared once I
corrected this.

Another thing to verify is that the client machine lists the tape server
(and user, if it's not the default called from inetd.conf) in its
.amandahosts file. I had a CNAME instead of the canonical FQDN, which may
also have been a problem.

dn

I'm trying to determine if the problem is with