Amanda-Users

Re: all estimate failed error on amanda client

2005-01-08 17:42:43
Subject: Re: all estimate failed error on amanda client
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:19:30 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Thursday 06 January 2005 21:25, David Newman wrote:
Greetings. I have installed Amanda on two FreeBSD 5.2.1 boxes, Host
A and Host B. Host A is the Amanda server, and has the
amanda-server package installed from ports. Host B has the
amanda-client package. I've added a couple of Host B's partitions
in Host A's disklist.

I'm getting this error in the nightly Amanda reports:

hostb /usr/home lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr/home, all estimate failed]
hostb /var lev 0 FAILED [disk /var, all estimate failed]

The backups on host A are working fine. On the client (host B) I've
followed the directions here:

http://amanda.sourceforge.net/docs/install.html#id2539781

There is no firewall or other external impediment between the two
boxes.

Both boxes run amanda as user "operator" which by default in FreeBSD
has no home directory. I have placed identical .amandahosts files
in the root directory of both boxes.

Any clues as to why backups of Host B are failing?

thanks

dn

Are there any logs being generated on host B from amanda's activities?

You may have to change the operator to a user with a valid home dir.
I've always, from day one, had a user amanda, who was a member of
group disk.

Thanks, I think this was the problem. I've created "amanda" accounts on both machines and they now communicate.

Note to those installing from the BSD ports collection: You'll need to modify the amanda-server Makefile to list "amanda" (or whomever) as your tape operator.

However, the problem may also have been that I was using a CNAME rather than the canonical hostname for the client in .amandahosts. I don't know which of these two fixed the comm problem.

By the way, I set up the same password for the amanda accounts on both machines. Is this required? I don't see anything in the commands about passwords being used at all.

dn

And is host B using inetd or xinetd?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: