Amanda-Users

Re: all estimate failed error on amanda client

2005-01-07 00:57:23
Subject: Re: all estimate failed error on amanda client
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 00:44:19 -0500
On Thursday 06 January 2005 21:25, David Newman wrote:
>Greetings. I have installed Amanda on two FreeBSD 5.2.1 boxes, Host
> A and Host B. Host A is the Amanda server, and has the
> amanda-server package installed from ports. Host B has the
> amanda-client package. I've added a couple of Host B's partitions
> in Host A's disklist.
>
>I'm getting this error in the nightly Amanda reports:
>
>hostb /usr/home lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr/home, all estimate failed]
>hostb /var lev 0 FAILED [disk /var, all estimate failed]
>
>The backups on host A are working fine. On the client (host B) I've
>followed the directions here:
>
>http://amanda.sourceforge.net/docs/install.html#id2539781
>
>There is no firewall or other external impediment between the two
> boxes.
>
>Both boxes run amanda as user "operator" which by default in FreeBSD
> has no home directory. I have placed identical .amandahosts files
> in the root directory of both boxes.
>
>Any clues as to why backups of Host B are failing?
>
>thanks
>
>dn

Are there any logs being generated on host B from amanda's activities?

You may have to change the operator to a user with a valid home dir.
I've always, from day one, had a user amanda, who was a member of
group disk.

And is host B using inetd or xinetd?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: