Amanda-Users

all estimate failed error on amanda client

2005-01-06 21:39:52
Subject: all estimate failed error on amanda client
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:25:12 -0800 (PST)
Greetings. I have installed Amanda on two FreeBSD 5.2.1 boxes, Host A and Host B. Host A is the Amanda server, and has the amanda-server package installed from ports. Host B has the amanda-client package. I've added a couple of Host B's partitions in Host A's disklist.

I'm getting this error in the nightly Amanda reports:

hostb /usr/home lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr/home, all estimate failed]
hostb /var lev 0 FAILED [disk /var, all estimate failed]

The backups on host A are working fine. On the client (host B) I've followed the directions here:

http://amanda.sourceforge.net/docs/install.html#id2539781

There is no firewall or other external impediment between the two boxes.

Both boxes run amanda as user "operator" which by default in FreeBSD has no home directory. I have placed identical .amandahosts files in the root directory of both boxes.

Any clues as to why backups of Host B are failing?

thanks

dn