Amanda-Users

Re: A question regarding backing up Window machines

2005-01-05 22:16:14
Subject: Re: A question regarding backing up Window machines
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:06:27 -0500
On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:58:29PM -0800, Joe Rhett wrote:

> > On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:42:13PM -0800, Joe Rhett wrote:
> > > Um, hello -- can you clue me in on this?  I am trying (lazily) to figure
> > > out why my excludes are ignored during backups, but work just fine when I
> > > run the same tar command by hand.  I need to add some debugging code, and
> > > just haven't found the time.  Have you clued into something I've missed?
>
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 06:17:31PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > could you give us your example exclude (note it is singlular) pattern
> > that fails with amanda dumps but works with smbclient.  Also the path
> > to file(s) on the window machine that is excluded properly by smbclient
> > but gets included by amanda.
>
> No such animal.  I never said smbclient, I said tar.  The system is running
> the amanda client.

Your subject says "Window machines".

I assumed you were backing up samba shares.
That uses smbclient with its "tar" option.

If you had meant the much less commonly used cygwin port of amanda,
which does use gnutar, I thought you would have mentioned it.

Or maybe there is another possibility I haven't considered.
Give me a hand here.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)