Amanda-Users

Re: A question regarding backing up Window machines

2005-01-29 11:30:31
Subject: Re: A question regarding backing up Window machines
From: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:09:57 -0800

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:06:27PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Your subject says "Window machines".
>
> I assumed you were backing up samba shares.
> That uses smbclient with its "tar" option.
>
> If you had meant the much less commonly used cygwin port of amanda,
> which does use gnutar, I thought you would have mentioned it.
>
> Or maybe there is another possibility I haven't considered.
> Give me a hand here.

I'm sorry, I thought I was on the amanda mailing list, writing about the
amanda client.  No, I'm not talking about using a program to back up remote
shares - I am writing about the actual amanda client.

I'm a bit surprised by your negative response, and your assumption of an
indirect method of backup over the native client.  And whatever -- this
issue has been ignored by you guys for years now, why am I bothering?

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek