Amanda-Users

Making estimates with tar

2005-01-05 17:25:20
Subject: Making estimates with tar
From: "Adam Lins" <adam AT bdti DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:21:13 -0800
Hi,

I think I have a planner/estimate problem.

I'm trying to create an amanda configuration that makes DVD-sized backup images
on disk of an 80GB file system. Once the images are made, I plan to burn them
to DVD-RW. Since a 4.7GB DVD can't hold 80GB of data, I made a largish number
of DLEs, each of which is dumped using tar and compressed with gzip. This
system _almost_ works, but each time I run the dump I end up with some failed
dumps, e.g.:

 /-- bertha     /mnt/raid/users/bdt-set6 lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Broken
pipe"]
 sendbackup: start [bertha:/mnt/raid/users/bdt-set6 level 0]
 sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
 sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
 sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
 sendbackup: info end
 \--------

Looking at sendsize.*.debug, tar returned the correct estimate for the size of
the dump. It seems that the planner didn't make any use of that when deciding
what to dump to the "tape."

The holding disk has a capacity of 160GB. I'm using virtual tapes, which would
each hold up to 4.7GB of dump data. It seems to me that the tar'ing stops when
it exceeds the storage specified by the tape type (of 4600 MB), causing the
error above (there's plenty of space on the disk--over 100GB).

So, two questions:

 - I thought the planner would only include DLEs that won't overflow
   the tape in the current dump? If so, why am I getting this error?

 - Is this caused by needing to make first-time dumps at level 0 in
   combination with the 4.7GB tape size limit?

At this point, you might wonder why I'm trying to use DVDs instead of tapes.
It's because typically, under 1GB of data gets changed, so the combination of
chg-disk and DVDs seems to make sense.

Thanks for any help,

-Adam