Amanda-Users

Removing / replacing tape in cycle

2005-01-05 16:50:53
Subject: Removing / replacing tape in cycle
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:33:43 -0600

First off - apologies, I know I've asked this before, and I'm sure it's addressed in the docs somewhere, but I've been searching for 30 minutes and I can't find either, so I humbly ask again (because I need to fix it before tonight :-)

I've had a tape go bad on me. Its label is CIS-008 in config CIS. What are the proper steps to remove this tape from the cycle and add a new one? Is this it?

# amrmtape CIS CIS-008
# (load fresh tape in the drive)
# amlabel CIS CIS-XXX (where XXX is the next in the series I haven't used yet?)

Do I need to then edit the tapelist by hand? Or alternately, do I just want to remove the bad tape, put in a fresh one, and label it CIS-008 (knowing that if I then need a backup that was on the bad CIS-008 Amanda will become confused)?

Also, amrmtape seems for when a tape goes bad (which is my current situation) but is there a different procedure for when you just want to retire a tape? Something like:

# amadmin CIS no-reuse CIS-008
(Will Amanda then prompt for a new tape to get back to desired number of tapes? Or do I just load a fresh tape and...)
# amlabel CIS CIS-XXX

Thanks, and sorry again for re-asking.

-Fran

--