Amanda-Users

Re: Antw: Re: Filesize too big

2004-12-22 12:57:11
Subject: Re: Antw: Re: Filesize too big
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:42:47 -0500
On Wednesday 22 December 2004 09:19, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:47:21AM +0100, Mathias Indermuehle wrote:
>> Thanks for your answer..
>>
>> Badly it doesn't realy help.. the problem is not on the
>> holdingdisk, its on the "tape" - I use a harddisk to backup these
>> files. The setting made smaller files at the holdingdisk, but not
>> on the tape (destination disk).
>>
>> If there is no other posibility it would be a hint if someone can
>> tell me how to get these splitet files togethere.. (then I can use
>> a script to put them on the backup disk manualy and when I need a
>> restore I can put them togethere and unpack them)
>
>I, and I'm sure Gene and others, thought you were writing to tape,
>not virtual tapes.
>
>On the disk drive where the vtapes reside, is there sufficient
> space? If so, can't you just increase the virtual size in the
> tapetype definition?

I don't think thats Mathias problem Jon, from my reading between the
lines, he has a filesystem filesize limitation, probably the infamous
2GB limit.

So I think Mathias has two choices since the obvious one is going to
be an 'outside of amanda' hack.  Any recovery operations would Not be
at all tastey IMO.

1: Change to an os distro that doesn't have that limit, and it hasn't
existed in linux since the early part of the 2.4 kernel series, or

2: break his disklist entries up into suitably smaller pieces.

I would do the latter if he has other software that is dependent on
that os and version number.  I'd also be messageing that software's
vendor for a fix asap that will let it run on later releases.

That said, when that filesize fix was installed, I did not have to
reformat my drives and start over, it was a transparent to me fix.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: