Amanda-Users

Backup startegy help

2004-12-21 05:56:42
Subject: Backup startegy help
From: Shai Ayal <shaia AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:49:01 +0200
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up an backup system in our company. We have two major
file systems to backup - one is the homedirs of everyone, including mail
in Maildir format, and the other is data.

Our idea was to have two computers -- one would hold the data and homes,
and the other would back it up daily to a disk. Additionally, once a
week or so we would to a tape backup to take off site.

The data is quite huge and it is often updated but only in small
amounts, i.e. we have about 80GB of data, and we add less than 300MB
each week. Clearly doing a full backup every week is very wasteful.

Homedirs are standard and I think the usual amanda backup algorithm will
work with no problem.

Problems:

1. Can I implement two different backup strategies, and write the result
to the same tape? i.e. although the strategy for home and data is
different, they would go in the same tape if they are scheduled for the
same day?

2. What is the recommended strategy for backing up the data? "strategy
nofull" seems appropriate, but does it work? -- the manual seems to be
ambiguous about it. Does anyone have other recommended strategy ?

3. On the same subject, can someone help me with the technical terms of
backup level: I understand level 0 is full backup, but do level 1
backups depend on the last level 0 backup done or on the last level 1
backup done ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Shai Ayal